Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Adventure Time!

tomorrow I leave for Shanghai, a city that reminds me of Los Angeles - with better dining options. i can already feel the cough in my throat. i've gotten used to the forest-filtered O2 of Bellingham (something we shouldn't take for granted), i don't know if i can handle anything else. fortunately, i'm only spending a few days in Shanghai before travelling to Chengdu. I had a blast when I went there with Will and David Ney two years ago. This time, i'll be travelling alone. at least i'll have my guitar to keep me company.

When people think of China, they imagine an exotic place. thar be dragons, that kinda thing. maybe that's what it used to be, but we're in the 21st century, folks! America has taken over. In ancient cities, tea shops have been replaced by Starbucks. Santa Claus one-ups Buddha on windowpanes during the holidays. it's like some kind of bizarro world where familiar sights appear with subtitles.

but i'm not travelling to have the same pre-packaged, over-the-counter experience you can have in the comfort of your own home. i want to leave my creature comforts behind and dive into the unknown. i want to drop my bad habits and learn something new. i want to fall in love. i want adventure! i want Life in its most raw and unadulturated form. i crave it, i thirst for it.

grant me my wish, o' universe. surprise me. laugh with me. climb to the peak with me. together we'll watch the sun rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment